Saturday, May 10

May 10

I'm still here! My computer has crashed, so unfortunately I've had limited time amidst the already busy planting season to keep updates going. Here's what's going on now, though:

Still trying to get as much in the ground as possible. For those of you who haven't seen our place, the picture shows the garden, with some of the area still in cover crops, waiting for beans and transplants like tomatoes, eggplants, and such that I'm hoping to all get into the ground this week. I've got a number of summer squash and zuchinni transplants as well, so it won't be long before I'll start having these items again. Also, my large-leaf and genovese basil is looking good, and will be ready to harvest before long.

My neighbor Tony and I are teaming up a bit this year. If you figure the linear feet of row we put in at his place on Wednesday, turns out we planted about a quarter mile of winter squashes of all types: butternut, hubbard, kuri, kabocha, delicata, among others. It'll be August before those are ready, but there'll be plenty to go around! He and Mert, the draft horse, came over to our place afterward to plant a few easy (for them) rows of sweet corn and okra. It sure was a big help, and so much faster than trying it myself with a hoe. It's amazing to think what a step up horse-power is.

See you at Flat Rock on Thursday! Also, tentatively, I'm hoping to start the market at Raymonds on the first Monday of June, which would be June 2nd. I'll keep you posted.

Stay tuned!
-Mollie

No comments: