Monday, July 30

July 30 - August 4

The early corn I've got now is a white corn called "Sweet Ice." It's a really sweet one, and my neighbor Tony sells his for .50/ear. He helped us plant and cultivate the corn using his Belgian draft horse Mert; she is very sweet, obedient, and of course, very BIG. I've been spraying the corn every so often with an organic spray called Dipel to protect against worms, but even a little rain seems to reduce the efficacy, thus I can't guarantee them as worm-free. However, I can say the ones we've eaten and processed so far (over 3 dozen) mostly have either no worms or else only very tiny ones without much damage. With that said, I still have to boast about the flavor of this variety--it is fantastic. Also, this variety is easy to process -- it is easy to shuck without leaving lots of silks along the ear.

The later yellow corn is starting to fill out. The tomatoes are starting to turn red, in small quantities, so I'm hoping next week I'll be able to offer some. The winter squash is nearly ready (i need to cure some of them this week), and I've got all sorts of varieties -- delicta, acorn, kabocha, etc. I have tomatillos, but I'm still waiting for them to turn purple in the next couple of weeks. If you're interested in green ones, though, they are already husked at 2.50/pint.

Here is the list for this week.

Sweet Corn
6.00 - dozen Sweet Ice (half-dozen: 3.00)

Cucumbers
1.75 - basket (quarter peck) young cucumbers
0.50 - larger cucumbers, still tasty

Peppers
1.00 - dozen sweet banana peppers
1.00 - dozen hot peppers: jalepeno, cayenne, and one for stuffing
0.50 - bell peppers

Squash
1.00 - half-dozen summer squash – straightneck, yellow crookneck and zephyr
0.50 - zuchinni -- gold or green
1.00 - large sized italian largo zucchini, aka"Striato" or "Romanesco"-- large green ribbed zucchini; see the following link for pictures and descriptions http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?item=2217 http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/vegetables/squashsummer/greenzucchini/italianlargoHerbs0.75

bunched herbs:
0.75 - parsely, thyme, lemon basil, marjoram

No comments: